- [기술동향]Buildings, tunnels and...
- Bacteria that can help buildings heal themselves have been tested on stone samples from Tintern Abbey in Wales and shown to improve the stone's microstructure without affecting colour or breathability. Image credit- Nilfanion/Wikimedia, CC BY-SA 4.0 링크 : https://horizon-magazine.eu/article/buildings-tunnels-and-bridges-could-soon-repair-themselves.html
- [기술동향]Self-healing concrete...
- Preparing regular concrete scientists replaced ordinary water with water concentrate of bacteria Bacillus cohnii, which survived in the pores of cement stone. The cured concrete was tested for compression until it cracked, then researchers observed how the bacteria fixed the gaps restoring the strength of the concrete. The engineers of the Polytechnic Institute of Far Eastern Federal University (FEFU), together with colleagues from Russia, India, and Saudi Arabia, reported the results in Sustainability journal. During the experiment, bacteria activated when gained access to oxygen and moisture, which occurred after the concrete cracked under the pressure of the setup. The "awakened" bacteria completely repaired fissures with a width of 0.2 to 0.6 mm within 28 days. That is due to microorganisms released a calcium carbonate (CaCO3), a product of their life that crystallized under the influence of moisture. After 28 days of self-healing experimental concrete slabs retrieved their original compressive strength. In the renewed concrete, the bacteria "fell asleep" again. "Concrete remains the world's number one construction material because it is cheap, durable, and versatile. However, any concrete gets cracked over time because of various external factors, including moisture and repetitive freezing/thawing cycles, the quantity of which in the Far East of Russia, for example, is more than a hundred per year. Concrete fissuring is almost irreversible process that can jeopardize the entire structure." Says engineer Roman Fediuk, FEFU professor. "What we have accomplished in our experiment aligns with international trends in construction. There is pressing demand for such "living" materials with the ability to self-diagnose and self-repair. It's very important that bacteria healed small fissures-forerunners of serious deep cracks that would be impossible to recover. Thanks to bacteria working in the concrete, one can reduce or avoid at all technically complex and expensive repair procedures." Spores of Bacillus cohnii capable of staying alive in concrete for up to two hundred years and, theoretically, can extend the lifespan of the structure for the same period. This is almost 4 times more than the 50-70 years of conventional concrete service life. Self-healing concrete is most relevant for construction in seismically risky areas, where small fissures appear in buildings after earthquakes of a modest magnitude, and in areas with high humidity and high rainfall where a lot of oblique rain falls on the vertical surfaces of buildings. Bacteria in concrete also fill the pores of the cement stone making them smaller and less water gets inside the concrete structure. Scientists have cultivated the bacteria Bacillus cohnii in the laboratory using a simple agar pad and culture medium, forcing them to survive in the conditions of the pores of the cement stone and to release the desired "repair" composition. Fissures healing was assessed using a microscope. The chemical composition of the bacteria repairing life product was studied via electron microscopy and X-ray images. Next, the scientists plan to develop reinforced concrete, further enhancing its properties with the help of different types of bacteria. That should speed up the processes of material self-recovery. A scientific school of the scientific school of geomimetics run at FEFU. Engineers follow the principle of nature mimicking in the development of composites for special structures and civil engineering. Concrete, as conceived by the developers, should have the strength and properties of natural stone. The foundations of geomimetics were laid by Professor Valery Lesovik from V.G. Shukhov BSTU, Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Architecture and Construction Sciences. 출처 : https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-02/fefu-scf021721.php
- [기술동향] Self-healing Concret...
- Report OverviewThe global self-healing concrete market size was valued at USD 24.60 billion in 2019 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 37.0% from 2020 to 2027. Rising demand for reliable and durable constructions, such as infrastructure, commercial, industrial, and residential, is expected to drive the demand for self-healing concrete over the forecast period. Ascending growth of the construction industry across the globe, coupled with a rise in demand for reduction in the structural maintenance of the buildings, is further likely to support the market growth. However, the COVID-19 pandemic across the globe has impacted the construction output in the second quarter of 2020, which has hampered the market for the product. To learn more about this report, request a free sample copy In the U.S., the market for self-healing concrete is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 34.9% in terms of revenue from 2020 to 2027. The construction industry in the U.S. is anticipated to witness significant growth over the forecast period on account of growing inclination towards industrial development and rising demand for commercial constructions in the country.The market is expected to expand at a high growth rate in the upcoming period owing to the rise in demand for less maintenance of building and infrastructure. To enhance the lifespan of buildings and structures, self-healing concrete offers feasible solutions, thereby gaining traction in the construction market.Traditional concrete and its related substances are subject to crack over a period of time, resulting in increased tension on walls and beams. To support the crack repairs and reduce maintenance of the buildings, self-healing concrete is used in the construction process. This specialized concrete produces limestone with the help of bacteria present in the concrete substances.The rise in demand for eco-friendly and sustainable constructions with high endurance is expected to drive the demand for self-healing concrete. However, nowadays, the proportion of non-hardening cement in the construction process is less, along with growing trends of fast construction. Moreover, unskilled labor is scaling the proportion of natural cracks in walls and columns of buildings. Thus, the service and repair activities of the construction are likely to ascend the demand for self-healing concrete over the forecast period.Report Coverage & DeliverablesPDF report & online dashboard will help you understand: Competitive benchmarking Historical data & forecasts Company revenue shares Regional opportunities Latest trends & dynamicsForm Insights In 2019, the vascular form of self-healing concrete accounted for the largest revenue share of 62.18% and is expected to witness the highest growth over the forecast period. This form is used when a series of tubes filled with concrete healing substances are passed through the concrete structure from the interior to the exterior of the building walls. These tubes need to be placed at anticipated locations wherein the crack is likely to occur, which makes the system non-pervasive.Capsule-based self-healing concrete is expected to witness notable growth over the forecast period owing to the ease of convenience the technique offers for large-scale usage. These substances when poured into the gaps react with air or another embedded concrete matrix and create hardened substances that fill gaps in walls and other building components.Bacteria-based capsules for self-healing are preferred in the market as these have an extended lifespan and can stay active for over 100 years. Whereas the chemical-based capsules may lose healing capabilities over a period of time and thus are less popular in self-healing applications. Cylindrical shaped capsules take up larger areas and can be built at higher lengths, and thus have a better healing mechanism than spherical shaped capsules.Vascular-based healing technology is used when a series of tubes filled with concrete healing substances are passed through the concrete structure from the interior to the exterior of the building walls. This technology can be implemented through a single or multi-channel approach depending on factors, including building shape, concrete strength, and a number of healing agents.Application Insights The infrastructure application segment held the largest share of 58.3% in 2019 in terms of revenue and is likely to witness significant growth over the forecast period. The rising initiatives by the construction companies to commercialize the product for the durability of infrastructure by collaborating with the product development companies are expected to ascend the product demand.Industrial construction needs to withstand harsh mechanical impacts owing to heavy-duty operations, including carriage of vehicles, operating heavy machinery, and heat treatments that require rigid surfaces with durability. Hence, self-healing concrete is expected to gain traction in industrial construction since these structures need strong resistance to various physical and chemical factors to comply with the technological requirements for a safe and convenient surface to carry out industrial operations. To learn more about this report, request a free sample copy The use of self-healing concrete in residential and commercial buildings is expected to help reduce the permeability of the construction and manage cracks. Foundations, grade slabs, floorings, basements, and walls are the key applications areas where reinforcement of the concrete is required to increase the lifespan of these structures.A rise in the number of construction activities for office buildings, institutions, healthcare centers, education centers, hotels, restaurants, and other commercial complexes is anticipated to provide growth prospects for the market. Furthermore, the adoption of technical changes in building practices for enhancing the durability of the structures is likely to support the market growth on a positive note.Regional Insights Europe dominated the global market in 2019 with a revenue share of more than 53.0% and is expected to witness significant growth in the projected time. In Europe, positive indications in private and public debt are fueling the growth of the construction industry, which is expected to favorably contribute to market growth.Western European countries including Germany contribute significantly to the growth of the global construction industry. The various projects undertaken by the government and initiatives put forth have propelled the market growth. The country during pandemic has taken superior supportive measures for its economy, which resulted in the positive growth of the country as compared to the U.K. and France.North America is one of the mature markets for concrete products. The region has a significant presence of multinational companies dealing with concrete products and related raw materials. Product innovation and investment in R&D capabilities by these companies have contributed magnificently to the overall growth of the market.The growth of the construction industry in the Asia Pacific is attributed to the rising needs of a growing population. Furthermore, the growing economic prominence of Southeast Asian countries, China, India, and other countries owing to the presence of a large consumer base, low labor cost, abundant resources, and increasing per capita income among the middle class in countries, like China and India, is anticipated to fuel the growth of the construction sector. This is indirectly expected to drive the construction materials market, thus fueling the growth of the market.Key Companies & Market Share Insights The market is moderately competitive on account of the limited presence of concrete manufacturers and less awareness about the product in the market. However, the competitive environment for materials used in self-healing concrete is moderately high as the procurement practices and material prices are dynamic. Raw material suppliers, concrete manufacturers, healing agent suppliers, and end-users are the different entities of the market. Key players are engaged in the manufacturing and supply of healing agents for concrete products. Some prominent players in the global self-healing concrete market include:Basilisk PENETRON Kryton Xypex Chemical Corporation Sika AG BASF SE Hycrete, Inc. Cemex Oscrete GCP Applied Technologies RPM InternationalSelf-healing Concrete Market Report Scope Report AttributeDetailsMarket size value in 2020USD 25.83 billionRevenue forecast in 2027USD 305.38 billionGrowth RateCAGR of 37.0% from 2020 to 2027Market demand in 2020338,000.0 cubic metersVolume forecast in 20276,672,347.1 cubic metersGrowth RateCAGR of 50.0% from 2020 to 2027Base year for estimation2019Historical data2016 - 2018Forecast period2020 - 2027Quantitative unitsVolume in cubic meters, revenue in USD million/billion, and CAGR from 2020 to 2027Report coverageVolume forecast, revenue forecast, company ranking, competitive landscape, growth factors, and trendsSegments coveredForm, application, regionRegional scopeNorth America; Europe; Asia Pacific; Rest of WorldCountry scopeThe U.S.; Canada; Mexico; The U.K.; Germany; France; China; India; Japan; BrazilKey companies profiledBasilisk; PENETRON; Kryton; Xypex Chemical Corporation; Sika AG; BASF SE; Hycrete, Inc.; Cemex; Oscrete; GCP Applied Technologies; RPM InternationalCustomization scopeFree report customization (equivalent up to 8 analysts working days) with purchase. Addition or alteration to country, regional & segment scope.Pricing and purchase optionsAvail customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options 사이트 : https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/self-healing-concrete-market
- SMARTINCS will implement new life-cycle thinking and durability-based approaches to the concept and design of concrete structures, with self-healing concrete, repair mortars and grouts as key enabling technologies. This will create a breakthrough in the current practice of the construction industry, which is characterized by huge economic costs related to inspection, maintenance, repair and eventually demolition activities and additional indirect costs caused by traffic congestions during maintenance and environmental effects. SMARTINCS will train a new generation of creative and entrepreneurial early-stage researchers in prevention of deterioration of (i) new concrete infrastructure by innovative, multifunctional self-healing strategies and (ii) existing concrete infrastructure by advanced repair technologies. The project brings together the complementary expertise of research institutes pioneering in smart cementitious materials, strengthened by leading companies along the SMARTINCS value chain, as well as certification and pre-standardization agencies. They will intensively train 15 early stage researchers to respond to the clear demand to implement new life-cycle thinking and durability-based approaches to the concept and design of concrete structures, minimizing both the use of resources and production of waste in line with Europe’s Circular Economy strategy. The new generation of researchers will be immediately employable to support the introduction of the novel technologies Europe has the key advantage to host pioneers and specialists in self-healing disciplines who can make the ambitious goals become a reality. They teamed up in the SMARTINCS consortium and include actors in all parts of the value chain, having the capacity to create the needed break-through to introduce the novel innovative self-sensing and multifunctional self-healing strategies and advanced repair technologies into the market. The scientific objectives are attained by joint PhD research and envisage:(i) To develop and model innovative self-healing strategies for bulk and local application, including optimization of mix designs and development of multi-functional self-healing agents with attention to cost, applicability and environmental impact.(ii) To scientifically substantiate and model the durability of self-healed concrete and repaired systems for an accurate service life prediction and to integrate self-healing into innovative service-life based structural design approaches to foster the market penetration through an innovative life-cycle thinking.(iii) To quantify and prove the eco-efficiency of newly developed smart concrete / mortars by life cycle assessment modeling.The planned activities within the ETN are represented in the work package structure. Training is given to the early stage researchers by their individual PhD projects which all fit within the scientific work packages 1-4, dealing with improved self-healing concrete (WP1), advanced local (self-)repair (WP2), durability, service life and sustainability (WP3) and technology transfer and entrepreneurship (WP4). 사이트 : https://smartincs.ugent.be/index.php/about-us